Skip to main content

Chippendale oak and leather armchair with turned legs

Image attached to M.14-1991

An image of Furniture. Chippendale, Thomas II, attributed to (British, 1749-1822). Armchair of carved oak with turned legs and caned seat, with modern green leather squab seat cushion and back panel and brass casters. Replacement back and cushions, Old woodworm holes. Oak frame, cane seat, leather back panel, cushion (replacement), brass (alloy) castors, height, 107.5 cm, width, front, 68 cm, width, back, 57 cm, depth, 64.2 cm, circa 1820 to circa 1821. Regency Period. Production Note: The design is related to three chairs carved from the famous 'Waterloo Elm'. Two were commissioned from Thomas Chippendale by John George Children (1777-1852). The first was given to George IV in 1821 at Carlton House, and is now at Windsor Castle. The second was for Children's own use. It was given by him to the Duke of Wellington in 1837, and now at Apsley House, London. A third armchair was commissioned by the Duke of Rutland, and is at Belvoir Castle. The Fitzwilliam's chair is close in design to the chair at Apsley House.

Terms of use

These images are provided for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND). To license a high resolution version, please contact our image library who will discuss fees, terms and waivers.

Download this image

Creative commons explained - what it means, how you can use our's and other people's content.

About this image

Furniture. Chippendale, Thomas II, attributed to (British, 1749-1822). Armchair of carved oak with turned legs and caned seat, with modern green leather squab seat cushion and back panel and brass casters. Replacement back and cushions, Old woodworm holes. Oak frame, cane seat, leather back panel, cushion (replacement), brass (alloy) castors, height, 107.5 cm, width, front, 68 cm, width, back, 57 cm, depth, 64.2 cm, circa 1820 to circa 1821. Regency Period. Production Note: The design is related to three chairs carved from the famous 'Waterloo Elm'. Two were commissioned from Thomas Chippendale by John George Children (1777-1852). The first was given to George IV in 1821 at Carlton House, and is now at Windsor Castle. The second was for Children's own use. It was given by him to the Duke of Wellington in 1837, and now at Apsley House, London. A third armchair was commissioned by the Duke of Rutland, and is at Belvoir Castle. The Fitzwilliam's chair is close in design to the chair at Apsley House.

Image data

  • Accession Number: M.14-1991
  • Photograph copyright © The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.
  • Aperture: f/22.0
  • Focal length: 80
  • Camera: Hasselblad H3DII-31
  • Photographer name: Andrew Norman
  • Image height: 1025 pixels
  • Image width: 751 pixels
  • Processed with: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.4 (Windows)
  • Filesize: 672.32kB
  • Exposure time: 1/125
  • ISO Speed: 200
  • Fnumber: 22/1
  • Captured: 2016:08:22 11:14:19

Key words

19th Century British cane caned carved casters chair Chippendale cushion English fluted furniture Georgian green leather oak Regency seat Thomas Chippendale turned wood wooden

Colours in this image

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...