Skip to main content


Scope note

Covered vessels for brewing and serving tea, usually with one spout, which is often long and gracefully curved, and, on the opposite side of the vessel, one handle, and sometimes small feet. Distinguished from "teakettles" which usually have a short pouring spout, a bail handle, and a broad, flat bottom, and are used for heating water from which tea is made.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<vessels for serving drinks>

Narrower Terms used

teapots with stands

Term used for

pot, tea
pots, tea
tea pots

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2023) "Terminology definition for: teapots" Web page available at: Accessed: 2023-12-05 00:00:03

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: teapots|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2023-12-05 00:00:03|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...