Skip to main content

Jug: C.12-1980

Museums and galleries in Cambridge will be closed to the public as part of a period of national/local restrictions.

Object information

Titles

  • Harvest or Autumn pattern jug

Earthenware jug, moulded and painted underglaze in blue, green, yellow and orange.

Buff-coloured earthenware slip-cast in a two-part mould, with applied moulded handle. The jug is an approximate baluster-shape, with flared neck and foot. The lower part has moulded horizontal ridges to imitate those on a thrown jug and, above, the outlines of fruits and foliage are incised or moulded into the surface. The upper body and the inside are partially covered with a thin, cream-coloured slip, lightly touched with soft green patches, and the incised decoration is outlined and filled under-glaze in blue, green, yellow and orange. The whole, including the underside, is covered in clear, crackled, glaze.

Purchased from The Fine Art Society, 148 New Bond Street, London, W.1.

Named entities

Legal notes

Given by the Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum, bought from The Fine Art Society

Acquisition and important dates

  • Method of acquisition: Given
  • Dates: 1980

Dating

Maker(s)

Note

‘Harvest pattern’, introduced in 1930, was one of a range of designs for tableware and ornaments commissioned by Doulton from Frank Brangwyn RA (1867-1956) between 1928 and c.1935. A jug of this design was illustrated in an advertisement for Royal Doulton in the 'Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review' for 1 January 1931. Brangwyn was best known as a mural painter, but had also been involved in the design of furniture, textiles and interiors since the turn of the century. These tablewares were intended for people of moderate means, and were priced accordingly: a teaset for twelve cost £3.15s.0d. They had simple forms which could be made by factory processes, gaining their individuality from lightly incised and hand-painted decoration. ‘Harvest’ was well received by the critics, but did not sell well – perhaps because the design was neither traditional nor sufficiently avant-garde. It was withdrawn from production in 1940.

Doulton, founded c.1815, originally made utility ceramics, stoneware jugs and ornamental bottles. Henry Doulton introduced decorative stoneware and architectural terracotta at Lambeth in the mid 1860s. He encouraged his modellers and decorators to use a wide range of techniques and decorative treatments in producing both unique, artist-signed, and limited edition pieces. From 1872 the business expanded into faience and in the 1880s opened a factory at Burslem, Staffordshire, where bone china was also made. In 1901, Edward VII granted the Royal warrant to the factory.

Place(s) associated

  • Stoke-on-Trent ⪼ Staffordshire ⪼ England

Measurements and weight

  • Height: 21.8 cm
  • Height: 8.5 in

Subjects depicted

Components of the work

  • Decoration composed of coloured slips glaze
  • Base measuring: Diameter by cm by 11 by Diameter by in by 4.3
  • Neck measuring: Diameter by cm by 7.5 by Diameter by in by 3
  • Handle

Materials used in production

Techniques used in production

  • Slip-casting : Earthenware, slip-cast in a two-part mould with moulded handle, partially covered with slip and painted underglaze; clear, crackled glaze.
  • Glazing

Inscription or legends present

Inscription present: dark green script, with curved line underneath

  • Text: Designed by/F. Brangwyn. R.A.
  • Location: Underside of base
  • Method of creation: Transfer-printed
  • Type: Mark

Inscription present: factory stamp, in dark green block capitals

  • Text: ROYAL / DOULTON / ENGLAND
  • Location: Underside of base
  • Method of creation: Transfer printed
  • Type: Factory mark

Inscription present: green script, with small vertical mark below/between the final two numerals

  • Text: D5011
  • Location: On the base
  • Method of creation: Hand painted
  • Type: Mark

Associated department: Applied Arts

References and bibliographic entries

Related exhibitions

Identification numbers

Audit data

  • Created: Saturday 6 August 2011
  • Updated: Wednesday 31 March 2021
  • Last processed: Thursday 1 April 2021
  • Data source: Adlib

Associated institutions

How to cite this record

This record can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2020) "Jug" Web page available at: https://collection.beta.fitz.ms/id/object/71602 Accessed: 2021-05-13 08:42:43

To cite this record on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=https://collection.beta.fitz.ms/id/object/71602|title=Jug|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2021-05-13 08:42:43|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

Machine readable data

More objects and works of art you might like

An image of Jug

Jug

Holding department: Antiquities
Accession Number: E.P.287

An image of Jug

Jug

Holding department: Antiquities
Accession Number: E.9.1909

An image of Jug

Jug

Holding department: Antiquities
Accession Number: E.36.1903

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...

University of Cambridge Museums logo
Arts Council England Logo
Research England logo
The Technology Partnership logo
Brewin Dolphin Logo