Skip to main content


Scope note

Use for the technique of making compositions in two dimensions or very low relief by gluing paper, fabrics, photographs, or other materials onto a flat surface. If heavy three-dimensional objects dominate, use "assemblage (sculpture technique)." If the constituent fragments form a somewhat unified image, use "montage."

This term has 709 records attributed within our system.

Term type

Object category
Object name

Getty AAT term number


Term used for

collage technique

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Connected records

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: collage" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-06-22 06:26:15

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: collage|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-06-22 06:26:15|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...